The wildlife sanctuaries of Tamilnadu
Tamilnadu has a very delightful topography which is very different and unique. 17.6% is completely forest area out of 1, 30,058 Sq km land area which is on the slopes of mountains and above the plain. There are numerous types of forest on those dry lands like thorn forest, scrubs, dry-deciduous forest and mangroves. There are around 17 wildlife sanctuaries in tamilnadu and the most famous ones are –
1. Indira Gandhi Wildlife – On the way to Anamalai hills through the topslip on the Western Ghats, this sanctuary can be reached which is spread over 958 Sq Kms. There is a national park in this environmental paradise within an area of 108 Sq Kms. Approximately around 800 species out of 2000 plants of south India is allocated here.
2. Mudumalai national park – This wildlife preserve which is around 321 Sq Kms includes a national park which is approximately around and area of 103 Sq Kms. This place is located in the nilgiri hills and meets the Eastern Ghats from the offshoot of the Western Ghats.
3. Mukkurthi National Park – From the place called Udhagamandalam this is 40 km away and it comprises of quite a feasible population of Sambar, Deers, Nigiri tahr and Niligiri Marten.
4. KalaKkadu wildlife sanctuary – In this wildlife preserve the wild animals like lions, langurs, Nilgiri tahr etc. and it is located in the district called Tirunelveli within an area of 223 Sq Kms.
5. Viralimalai – This wildlife sanctuary includes beautiful peacocks which move around the murugan temple and this is a small place which is located in the southern area of tiruchipalli.
6. The Madras Crocodile Bank Trust ( Nemmeli ) – This trust